How to Use Storytelling Principles for Your Virtual Event Marketing Strategy
Do you still believe ‘storytelling’ is just a marketing buzzword? If so, this article is a must-read for you. Today we will help you to understand why storytelling always works. Also, we will give you tips on how to write a remarkable story to promote your next virtual event.
Why do people love stories?
Before we start, let’s try to understand why people love stories and why storytelling can be used as an effective marketing technique. Scientifically speaking, human beings love stories of all kinds for two main reasons:
- When we hear a good story that resonates with us, our body releases a hormone called oxytocin (also known as a “love hormone”) that evokes feelings of trust, compassion, and empathy. It explains why stories have a unique ability to build connections and boost engagement.
- The human brain processes facts and stories differently. When we hear a relatable story, our brain reacts as if we are experiencing this story ourselves.
How can storytelling benefit virtual event marketing?
By using storytelling principles, you can take your marketing strategy to the next level. A good relatable story can help you to:
- Make your virtual event stand out and attract a wide audience
- Make attendees feel connected to each other and the host of the event
- Define your brand’s mission and values
- Inspire actions and boost engagement
What are the elements of a good story?
Now you know that storytelling is much more than just a buzzword. Let’s take the next step and discuss the essential elements of a good story:
- A Hero. Make the attendee the hero of your story. Describe your event in the context of how an attendee can benefit from participating. If you find a way to align a story of your virtual event with a personal story of the attendee, you will make sales, improve engagement, and see an increase in your event ROI.
- Touchpoint. Use something that resonates with your target audience and that relates to your event: a specific problem, attitudes toward specific issues, personal negative or positive experience regarding using a particular product, etc.
- Struggle. The hero of your story should face some obstacles on the way to success. That’s what will hook your audience.
- Happy Ending. People do love happy endings. So make sure that the end of your story is fun, optimistic, inspiring, and positive.
- CTA. When it comes to marketing, every story needs a call to action. You can use your story to encourage your audience to buy a product, register for the event, leave feedback, etc.
How do you create an outstanding story for the event?
Finally, let’s talk about steps you should take to create an outstanding story:
- Outline your ideas. It’s not that easy to write a story from scratch. You should list all of your ideas first, and then connect the best ones into a story.
- Get professional writing help. If writing is not your cup of tea, you may seek out specialized services. If you do use a bulk-writing website, don’t forget to check customers’ feedback before placing an order.
- Step into the attendee’s shoes. Think about what problems they have and what kind of story they want to hear.
- Put your story through the test. Present your story to a focus group and collect feedback. Rewrite if necessary.
- Choose a suitable format. You can present your story in the form of a blog post, short video, presentation, or a series of social media posts. Think about what type of content will appeal to your target audience the most.
Storytelling is a skill, and it will take you time to master it.
However, if you are persistent and dedicated to your goals, you will achieve great results! The outstanding stories you create will help you to promote your virtual events and take your business to a brand new level.
About the author: Jessica Fender is a marketing consultant, blogger, and professional writer. You can follow her on Twitter.